Diagnosis. Treatment. Consultation. Training.

Independent Educational Evaluations (IEE)

Independent Educational Evaluations

The Individuals with Disabilities Educational Act (IDEA) gives parents the right to request an evaluation that is completed by an unbiased third-party when they do not agree with the results of their child’s school-based assessment, at no fee to them.

These evaluations can be academic, emotional, behavioral, social or communication related.

Psycho-educational Independent Educational Evaluations

At Gentry PBS, we have expertise in conducting psycho-educational IEE’s for students from preschool through high school. We provide comprehensive evaluations for a number of psychological and learning issues including:

  • Learning Disabilities
  • Emotional Disabilities
  • (e.g., anxiety, depression)
  • Attention and Focusing
  • Problems (e.g., ADHD)
  • Autism Spectrum
  • Disorder
  • Asperger’s Syndrome
  • Cognitive and Developmental
  • Delays

Speech and Language Independent Educational Evaluations

Gentry PBS now offers speech and language IEEs for students from preschool through high school. We provide comprehensive evaluations for a number of speech and language disorders including:

  • Speech sound disorders (articulation/phonology, difficulty pronouncing sounds)
  • Language disorders (receptive/expressive/pragmatic, difficulty understanding what is heard, expressing ideas with words, social language and interactions)
  • Cognitive-communication disorders (difficulty with thinking skills including perception, memory, awareness, reasoning, judgment, problem solving and imagination)
  • Stuttering/fluency disorders (interruption of the flow of speech that may include hesitations, repetitions, prolongations of sounds or words)
  • Augmentative or Alternative Communication (AAC)

Behavioral Evaluations and Functional Behavioral Assessments (FBA)

If your child has been demonstrating problem behaviors at school, his or her IEP team should have conducted a Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA) to determine why these behaviors were occurring. If an FBA was conducted on your child and you question the results or do not agree with the behavior support plan, you are entitled to request an independent FBA. The Gentry PBS staff include licensed psychologists and Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBA) with expertise in conducting FBA’s and developing social and behavioral interventions.

How to request an IEE

In order to obtain an IEE, you should write a letter to your school administration and special education director stating that you disagree with the school district’s assessment and are requesting an IEE. You can find sample IEE request letters on the internet if you search for "sample IEE letters."

For more information regarding parental rights or the Independent Educational Evaluations, please call Dr. Gentry or Dr. Long.